Although not afloat on the Clyde, and certainly not contemporary, having had a mention a few days ago, SIR WALTER SCOTT deserves to be shown here. This interesting little steamship was built at Dumbarton, by the famous shipyard of William Denny and Brothers, Ltd, as far back as 1900. Plying during the summer months on the waters of Loch Katrine, major investment totalling some £2.2m has recently been announced, and this will see her being reboilered during the forthcoming winter months. She presently burns coal, but when her new boilers are fitted, these will burn an environmentally friendly bio-oil. This is important, as Loch Katrine also serves as one of the main sources for the city of Glasgow's drinking water supply. In the 2005-06 winter, she was given a partial rebuild which saw her original bow being replaced with a new one, complete with solid bulwarks which totally detract from her appearance. A new bow thrust unit has also been fitted, which admittedly does assist her berthing in the tight confines of the Trossachs pier, which is her summertime base.