A rare sight this afternoon, as Scotland's two remaining coastal steam-driven preserved ships were seen at Glasgow. WAVERLEY, which has lain throughout the winter at her berth at Plantation Quay adjacent to the Science Centre, is being gradually reactivated in preparation for a weekend of sailings at Oban. The other vessel, the preserved 'puffer' VIC32 was paying a courtesy visit to Finnieston Quay, which required the opening of the two pedestrian bridges just upstream of the Science Centre.
VIC 32, launched by Dunston's at Thorne for the Admiralty in 1943, was built to a traditional Clyde Puffer design able to fit into the locks of the Forth and Clyde Canal, with an overall length of 66ft 4in. She still retains her original two-cylinder compound steam engine, although her boiler is not as old, VIC32 having been reboilered in 2006. She has operated since 1979 in Scottish waters, and has been seen each year on the Clyde and in the Western Isles as she cruises at a sedate pace with her small complement of passengers. Further details of this interesting little ship can be found here.