Saturday, 11 October 2008


Back for another visit to Greenock, the NLB's navaids tender POLE STAR took a little jaunt up Loch Long this afternoon to inspect some of the navigation buoys and lights. Like AYTON CROSS, she too dates from 2000, although she was built a little closer to home, by Ferguson Shipbuilders at their Newark Shipyard at Port Glasgow. The Northern Lighthouse Board has two ensigns. Their ships fly a defaced Blue Ensign, with a white lighthouse on it. The Commissioners of the NLB also have their own ensign, which is white defaced with a blue lighthouse, and it is the only British flag to use the pre-1801 Union Flag as part of its design. This flag is only flown at the NLB headquarters in Edinburgh, or by vessels with the Commissioners on board.