Saturday, 14 August 2010


This magnificent yacht was seen passing downstream from the Gareloch, where she had spent the night at anchor off Rhu. ELEONORA E was built as recently as 2000 but is a 49.5 metre long replica of the 1910-built Class-A schooner WESTWARD, one of the great racing yachts of the era. ELEONORA E was built in Holland and is used extensively in the charter market, accommodating 8 guests at a time in compete luxury. She carries a crew of 7. With a sail area of 1,100 square metres, she recently took part in events at Cowes named after her predecessor, although on the last day of racing there, suffered mast damage. One of the other yachts taking part in the Westward Cup was the gaff schooner MARIETTE, built in 1915 and which visited the Clyde two years ago.